Dove Real Beauty Sketches – What it Did for Dove
Unless you’ve been locked in the cupboard under the stairs without access to the Internet (which might be your thing, that’s fine) you’ve probably seen the Real Beauty Sketches video released by Dove. Regardless of whether you’ve seen it or not, here it is again anyway. You can never see this too many times:
There’s no disputing the impact this ad has on the viewer. The target audience – women – will almost all immediately feel a connection with the message. Dove, as a beauty brand, absolutely nailed it with this ad that demonstrates just how unnecessarily self-critical women are of their own appearances. It’s just phenomenally well done.
But just what has this achieved in terms of Dove’s brand?
Well, it’s impossible to say for sure whether people who saw the video would have felt more or less positive towards the brand. But the metrics we can see:
- 4.5 million views of the Youtube video at the time of writing (August 2014)
- 2,417 new subscribers to the Dove USA Youtube channel through this video at the time of writing
- 23,227 social shares of the video at the time of writing
- 83 different domains linking straight back to the Youtube page (according to Majestic SEO fresh index)
- Over the past 12 months, there have been an average of 9,900 searches per month in Google for “Dove real beauty sketches.”
The campaign was case studied by Google too, which offers us more insight into how it performed (taking into account all variants of the video that were uploaded):
So this is one that can be added to my list of campaigns I wish I’d been involved with 😉